1. News & Issues
You can opt-out at any time. Please refer to our privacy policy for contact information.

Employment Authorization Document



An employment authorization document (EAD) is a USCIS document proving the holder is authorized to work in the United States.

Those who are in the following categories are eligible for an employment authorization document:

  • Asylees/Refugees and their spouses or children
  • Certain nationality categories
  • Foreign students
  • Eligible dependents of employees of diplomatic missions, International Organization or NATO
  • Employment-based nonimmigrants
  • Family-based nonimmigrants
  • Adjustment of status categories
  • Certain other categories

A full listing of eligible categories is available from the current I-765 instructions.

Lawful permanent residents, conditional residents, or nonimmigrants authorized to work with a specific employer under 8 CFR 274a.12(b) do NOT need an employment authorization document.

Find out how you can get an employment authorization document from USCIS.

Also Known As: An EAD card is sometimes referred to as a work permit or form I-766.
  1. About.com
  2. News & Issues
  3. Immigration Issues
  4. Immigration Glossary
  5. Employment Authorization Document - Immigration Glossary - Employment Authorization Document

©2014 About.com. All rights reserved.