1. News & Issues
Dan Moffett

Immigration Officials Approve Thousands of Deferred Action Requests From Childhood Arrivals

By November 24, 2012

(READ ABOUT A REPORT ON THE GOVERNMENT'S PROGRAM FOR DREAMERs as of August 15, 2013 when applications for deferred action climbed above 500,000 at the end of the initiative's first year.)

U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services has released new statistics for the Obama administration's deferred action program that suggest the DREAM Act alternative program for childhood arrivals is picking up steam.

As of Nov. 15, USCIS had received 308,935 applications and approved 53,273 since the program began in August. The government says it's getting an average of 4,827 applications per day from young immigrants, and that number could go higher with President Obama's reelection which ensures the program will continue for four more years.

Overall, the government has rejected 10,101 applications, with 124,573 currently under review. Immigrant advocates believe more than 1.5 million illegal immigrants who entered the country as children could become eligible to avoid deportation under the program.

The USCIS says Mexico is the leading country of origin for applicants with 212,514, followed by El Salvador (13,769) Honduras (8,577), Guatemala (7,630), South Korea (4,880) and Brazil (4,345).

California has been the top state for applications with 81,858, followed by Texas (47,727), New York (19,320), Florida (15,318) and Illinois (13,904).
To apply, immigrants must be between 15 and 30 years old. They must clear a criminal background check and pay about $465 in fees to get a two-year exemption from deportation to work or study in the country.

Comments

November 24, 2012 at 9:54 pm
(1) wigglwagon says:

Every deferred action that is granted should be accompanied by the permanent deportation of the illegal alien parents who caused this problem. Those who were brought here as children want to be placed at the front of the line but they also want those who caused the problem to not be held accountable for their crimes. Any so called solution that leaves illegal workers employed and citizen and legal immigrants unemployed will never be acceptable.

It is time for the President of the United States to start living up to his responsibilities to the law abiding citizen and legal immigrant families.

November 25, 2012 at 12:36 am
(2) wigglwagon says:

wigglwagon, i work with an attorney and I can tell you that youre one of the many narrow minded in this country when it comes to this issue. Everyone has their own story. Some parents crossed the border with their children without inspection. MANY of them came on visas and overstayed. I have seen many cases where it was in fact the LAWYERS that messed up the cases for these people who got caught in the broken systems loop. Obviously, it isnt possible for everyone to return back home. NO ONE wants to leave the country of their birth, they are forced out due to different circumstances. Thats exactly why this country is mixed with different cultures. There should be a better way to handle this situation.

Also, if illegal workers are employed and more skilled than those who are here legally, then thats VERY sad. Its quite amusing if you think about it, children of illegals out performing children of legals. That should in itself be a crime for Americans. Lastly, please check your own family history…none of us were “legally” supposed to be here. Your ancestors should have been deported.

November 25, 2012 at 11:54 am
(3) Daric says:

I agree with the last comment, some very narrow minded people. People need to support the Dream Act and give these young brilliant people a way to the American Dream.

November 25, 2012 at 3:59 pm
(4) Ally says:

very well said! bravo to the 2nd commenter, (2)wiggiwagon!

November 26, 2012 at 9:36 am
(5) gerson says:

wigglewagon, I’m sure you benefit from undocumented immigrants on a daily basis. Just look at the food on your dinner table.

November 26, 2012 at 7:14 pm
(6) AnLu says:

In reference to the first comment…asking for my parents to be deported is like asking for parents of criminals/murderers to be punished too. For what? For giving birth to them??? After becoming adults, we are on our own! I thank my parents for bringing me to this country, where I have become a professional and a tax-paying individual. My parents gave me a great opportunity and it was my choice to make the most of it. That’s something that unfortunately, many U.S. citizens my age have not achieved and have no intention in achieving. I am planning on continuing my studies as soon as my application is approved! I don’t think that bettering myself would be a crime, right???
Narrow-minded people should make me sick, but instead I feel sorry for their ignorance!

November 28, 2012 at 11:24 am
(7) Isaid says:

“Your ancestors should have been deported” thats a good one! LOL these kind of people dont understand if it wasnt for their ancestors they’re “ILLEGALS” too.

December 5, 2012 at 11:15 am
(8) Lenka Bartos says:

I think this is the reason why rest of the world likes Obama. Well, as an external observer and moreover European, I can’t really understand the depths of immigrants policies. All I know is what I picked up from the news. If I compare your system to ours, I can say that you are at least more open-minded. Still, we don’t get that many immigrants. I wanted to go and finish my masters degree in US, but I have to say your policies scared me off a bit. In the end I ended up in UK.

I understand most of your immigrations conflicts is about Mexicans, but how is it with US citizens immigration? I always wondered. Is the rate high? I read this article like few weeks ago – it’s about increasing trend of the US immigration to Canada and I was surprised. Is it complicated process to became a full citizen in Canada? I always thought it was easier for the US citizens.

March 12, 2013 at 3:45 pm
(9) HarrietDakota says:

i want to just ask is it possible to approve all the Deferred Action arrivals from the children some time they are unnecessary and worthless?