1. News & Issues
Dan Moffett

If Elected, Mitt Romney Says He'll End Deferred Action for DREAMERs

By November 3, 2012

If elected president, Mitt Romney would end deferred action, the Obama administration's plan that allows young illegal immigrants to avoid deportation.

In an interview with the Denver Post last month, the Republican candidate said he would honor the two-year visas given to those who already have received deferred action. But Romney said he would end the program going forward.

"The people who have received the special visa that the president has put in place, which is a two-year visa, should expect that the visa would continue to be valid," Romney told the Post editorial board. "I'm not going to take something that they've purchased."

Because President Obama enacted deferred action through an executive order, his successor can rescind it with the stroke of a pen. The deferred action alternative would cease to exist once Romney is elected. He said he will propose an immigration plan that doesn't include it after he takes office, and he also has said repeatedly he opposes the DREAM Act.

So for DREAMers, those who have received deferred action and those who hope to get it, the future is very uncertain if Mitt Romney wins the election. President Obama has pledged to keep deferred action in effect through a second term and also to continue to pressure Congress for a federal DREAM Act.

The agendas of President Obama and Romney differ greatly when it comes to immigration policy. Read what the Republican candidate would do if elected.

Comments

November 3, 2012 at 10:01 pm
(1) RedBan says:

Good – end it.

In life, you need to follow rules and live your life honestly. That means you need to show respect and observe the laws of our country.

These illegal aliens need to go home. They don’t need amnesty. They don’t need a guest worker program. They don’t need deferred action. They don’t need a Dream-Act.

They just need to go home.

November 3, 2012 at 10:23 pm
(2) alex says:

What mitt romney is doing is unfair he cant take it away there is a lot of students that are saving to get the deferred action and plus how is it thst you want us too go home if we never been there!!!! Im on the deferred action and i just got my diploma along with other illegals that also graduated with me but recieved an honors diploma!!!! Ive been here since i was 9months old and i consider my self american and i would do anything to defend it

I just wish people would understand our situation its a nightmare i worked so hard in high school and now in college so i can help america grow strong and this what i get

November 3, 2012 at 10:41 pm
(3) Glenn Beck's Daddy says:

Yeah you show em!!!! Wewwww!!! They took are jobs. They took are jobs!!! Honesty and Respect, the American way!. Wewwww!!!. This is our country. I mean at first it wasn’t but we came here with HONESTY and RESPECT and took the country from the natives!!!! And were STILL HERE. No amnesty, no guest work program, no deferred action, and no Dream-Act. Wewwwwww!!! You show em RedBag, I mean RedFag, I mean RedBan!!!!! Go home IMMIGRANTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

November 3, 2012 at 10:44 pm
(4) Jordan says:

RedFag lol

November 3, 2012 at 10:53 pm
(5) Malcom X says:

Except RedBan. Hes Special:)

November 4, 2012 at 1:25 am
(6) LUIS D. Garcia says:

they took our jobs? come on think about it even rite now the unemployment its at about 8% it can be more but if you want the job you just need to be better then the 8% and stop settling being a stupid average American. personally i came here on a visa and now it expire, so what i don’t depend on the government and even if they don’t give me any resident or citizenship i will still find the way around it and if not i will go through it because i am an ENTREPRENEUR and i will create jobs and my own economy no matter what a president says. entrepreneurs are willing to risk everything they have in reward for something else and they make their own rules be thank full because with out the entrepreneur they would not be any jobs for average people ask mr. romney he knows that there is a reason why he is worth $250M.

November 4, 2012 at 1:33 am
(7) WE ALL HAVE DREAMS! says:

HONESTLY!!!!!!!!!!!!
Some people really need to grow up! THE PEOPLE THAT GOT THE WORK PEMITS ON 8/15 of this YEAR!! haven’t even had thier SSN yet! so you can’t really say “they are taking our jobs”"”" and To be honest you really can’t blame a person that commited a “crime” if the “crime” was done whe they were 5 months old! IT’s LIKE SAYIN: this kid killed this person when he was 5 months old! and honestly CHILL!! our jobs have been “taken” because we can’t put ourselfs to work!!! you have millions of people on UNEMPLOYMENT cheating it. and the foodstamps business. WHY>?? because who wants to work when the government can support you! and guess WHAT!!!! PEOPLE withOUT SSN or papers CAN’t I REPEAT CAN’T! get unemployment or disabilitly, or foodstamps or anytype of help!!! THIS LAND IS THE LAND OF OPPORTUNITIES!!!! AND FREEDOM!! IF YOUR TOOOO IGNORANT TO KNOW OR TRY TO UNDERSTAND THAT then you missed the whole part of being an american. AMERICA is an immigrant country! HELLLOOOO!!!!! DUH!!!!!! walk out the door you won’t see all white!! you will see many cultures! just look at our president! ITS TIME TO GROW UP PEOPLE!!!! THE PEOPLE THAT ARE LAWFUL AND INNOCENT should!!! should!!!! have A CHANCE!! a DREAM!!! and I Sure HOPE! that non- of you HAVE to go through hell. WE have been humilited because of our status, I AM NOT FROM HERE, NOR i am FROM THERE!!!! I WAS RAISED AS AN AMERICAN!!!! and AMERICA IS ALL I KNOW!!!!!! SO i am sorry if you can’t get that, you can’t accept the truth! and no matter what happens THERE WILL ALWAYS BE IMMIGRANTS RATHER YOU LIK IT OR NOT! just ask your granparents! they will sure tell ya they went through hell just to get you a better future! NOT FOR YOU SITTIN ON THE COMPUTER SAYING ALL THE THINGS TO PEOPLE THAT ARE IN THE SAME PLACE THAT YOUR GRANDPARENTS WERE IN, TRYING TO GIVE THEIR FUTURE KIDS, A LIFE LIKE YOU HAVE NOW!!!!!!!>>>>>>>>>>>>>

November 4, 2012 at 1:55 am
(8) ivman says:

white cats are just lazy come on people brake a swet like imigrants do i bet you wont or could ever will !

November 4, 2012 at 1:59 am
(9) Karl says:

I personally would not vote for Romney because he is not for the middle class. I also don’t accept his views on how he would run things in office. I believe deferred action was necessary and needed to be done.

November 4, 2012 at 11:36 am
(10) Ed says:

All the Republicans need to understand is that the people benefiting from the DREAM act are not the people who committed the crime, it is those suffering the consequences of their parents mistakes. I am one of “those” suffering the consequences. You need to understand that it is not only “hispanic” children who need this, so do other races. I was brought to the U.S.A as a 6 month old baby. Do you think it is fair to deny me of everything everyone else benefits from only because I’ve been in the U.S. 6 months less than everyone else in my grade? I’m an honor student, and the reason my parents came to the U.S. was to allow me to have a better education because in Costa Rica life is very difficult. My parents did not come in the U.S. and takes American’s job opportunities. My dad is a landscaper, and my mom is a house cleaner. I feel as if I was born in the U.S. because I have no recollection of ever living in Costa Rica, and making me go back is the same as placing a fish out of the water. I lived in the U.S. my entire life so far, and I wish it could stay the same. I feel I should not be punished, and people like me should fight for something like this because the people who makes these laws don’t understand people like me. Everyone is government has had life handed to them easier than anything. I have been through stress and pain bigger than anyone can imagine, and even to still not be able to pursue further education, drive, and be human, I find it so unfair! WE ARE ALL HUMAN. I do not understand why people are so unfair, and so stubborn. I hope Obama wins this election because if Romney wins I can assure you he will be worse than Bush. Bush is the reason for all our debt. So all you republicans save your words and stop defending him because he is the reason for all debt. Obama has been trying to fix all of Bush’s errors because there were too many to count.

November 4, 2012 at 12:26 pm
(11) Annie Jo says:

The only reason Illegals exist in this country, is because they are, too cowardly and lazy to make their countries, better. To the Anti-white Racists, calling white people lazy, over 80% of all dead and wounded in Iraq and Afghanistan are white men. While these cowardly lazy Illegals, pimp themselves out for the cheapest wage, brave mostly white American sons are fighting and bleeding for this country, half way around the world.

To all you lazy cowardly Illegals, we just want to make sure you have to do, what our American U.S. citizens had to do, to get this country. Fight, bleed and die to get it. You will run, back to your countries, once Americans get fed up with your immoral trespassing arrogant Illegal a**es.

November 4, 2012 at 2:45 pm
(12) brenda says:

@Annie Jo- how is a person that is 5 or 6 months old suppose to make their country better? we came as children it wasnt by choice. if a baby steals something they dont get in trouble they grabbed but they didnt know what they were doing was wrong. its pretty much the same thing! immigrants aren’t taking “americans” jobs they’re just getting a job that another person could easily do but t’hey’re to lazy. you’re a stupd dumb- @$$. think before you say stuff!
to all the people who judge them get a life and grow up!

November 4, 2012 at 5:43 pm
(13) MICHELLE!!! says:

I AM ONE THEM PEOPLE ANNIE JO!! AND IF YOU BELIEVE THAT THE AGE OF 5 MONTHS OLD I WAS GOING TO MAKE THING BETTER…..YOUR WRONG! YOU CAN’T EVEN MAKE YOUR OWN country better, like i am trying to! because i am actually studing right now to make it better! so you can live a happy life! thats all we want a happy life! and i am pretty sure you do too. i am an honer student and have great moral!! and people love me and people do anything to keep me here! why because they need us!! i want you to do all the landscaing pick your own crops!!! everyday!! i want you to stop hiring maids that wil work for 5 dollars an hour because thats how low we will pay an immigrant.NEWS FLASH your family came here for you! now don’t be IGNORANT and try Crush those opportunities to others!

November 6, 2012 at 2:19 pm
(14) eennii says:

What if this is my home?

This is what I, an illegal immigrant say to those that agree with what President Romney initially said. I’ve been living in the US for 12 long years. 12 years that i have stood with my fellow classmates, pledging alligence to a flag that “isn’t rightfully mine”. 12 years that I have studied my hardest working through numerous AP, SATS, volunteer hours and other intense college level classes so I can graduate and have the opportunity to go to college. 12 years of friendships and relationships that have made me who i am today. I am done sitting in silence, I am done letting people say that I was brought here from my parent’s mistake and that this is not my home. THIS IS MY HOME.

November 6, 2012 at 8:46 pm
(15) Blanca says:

Okay, so i am an applicant of the Deffered Action and have been here since i was 7 months old. I believe that i deserve the right to further on my life. So when i was seven months old you guys are telling me that i should have told my parents it was illegal? Okay, no my parents came here to give me and my brothers a better life. We came here to live the American Dream. We are not criminals as you guys make us seem. We come here to work hard to eat well. I consider myself an American and i think students deserve an opportunity.

November 27, 2012 at 11:51 pm
(16) whatever says:

Seriously dumb people always saying illegals are taking jobs? Maybe if you don’t always complain about a job or think its too low on pay maybe you would have a job:) or work better too. And your going to have to live with immigrants no matter what! You can’t get rid of us