1. News & Issues

Reader Frustrated with Lack of Movement on Immigration Reform

By February 27, 2010

comprehensive immigration reform now

About.com reader Tamika took to the Immigration Issues forum this week to express her frustration with the lack of movement on immigration reform.

I want to know, why is it so hard for President Obama to address the issue with immigration? If he passes a law to make illegal immigrants pay a fine and allows them to work in the U.S. it will benefit the economy greatly, especially since we are in such an economic crisis! I have been married for 5 years and I have 2 children by my husband but I have been the sole provider for my family. It is hard and unfair when I see people from other countries come to the U.S. with no problems or issues other than to look for a better life, as my husband thought he was doing, and they can get papers easier and quicker because they are not of Jamaican descent. Healthcare reform is important but so is the immigration issue and we have been waiting far too long for this issue to be addressed. It was talked about within the first 100 days of Obama coming into office but now it's like it's a lost cause.

Tamika is in good company. Many people feel that the Administration is dragging its feet on immigration reform, but this does not mean that the issue is dying. Reform supporters continue to press forward: lawmakers are working to get the discussion started (one bill has already been introduced), and in March, activists will march on Washington to demand immigration reform.

Do you share Tamika's frustration? How many of you think we'll be waiting until 2011 before immigration reform legislation becomes the focus in Congress?

Comments

February 27, 2010 at 4:09 pm
(1) jake411 says:

I believe the primary reason comprehensive immigration reform (CIR) is being delayed is due to the poor execution of health care reform (HCR) by the President. Due to HCR dragging endlessly for 9+ months, the opposing republican party has been able to define the argument against it while getting a majority of the country to oppose its passage. Political losses such as NJ, VA and the huge upset of Massachusetts have sent all the Democrats running for the hills to save their skin. Even though an immigration bill has been introduced in the House, it seems sadly very doubtful that the administration wants to take up such a toxic topic as CIR right before the midterm elections. Hence the delay of the introduction of a Senate bill by Sen Schumer and Graham. What we can hope for is that they introduce the bill before the mid term elections and vote for it before the end of the 111th Congress, much like the 1986 immigration bill passed by Reagan. Even though I supported Obama wholeheartedly before his election, I now realize how inexperienced he is in governing a nation. He very likely will be a one term President if he can’t garner enough policy support from the now elusive Independent voters.

February 27, 2010 at 5:42 pm
(2) Roben says:

Well, with the democrats looking forward to pass the Health Care bill with a reconciliation, Republicans would get more adamant with any future bills that Dems would propose. Immigration Reform Bill would be their(Reps) best bet to invloke more fear (Reps always flourised by createing unnecessary fears in peoples minds) among Americans.

I wouldn’t be surprised even if Mr. McCain who was a co-sponser of the CIR earlier would not support it anymore. Rest of the flok would follow him for reasons like the bill has ‘n’ number of pages, the bill has Dems stamp every where on it, that the bill was not in anyway bipartisan, and that it was not transparent enough to be shown on cspan.

February 27, 2010 at 6:01 pm
(3) jake411 says:

I too fear that with the usage of reconciliation for health care, the republicans will fiercely oppose any future major bills. But a bit of hope is present with the recent bipartisan support of the $15 billion jobs bill (70-28). The only bipartisan part of the immigration bill is that it is being written also by republican senator Lindsey Graham.

One sad part is that Sen. McCain is highly unlikely to support the new immigration bill. This is likely primarily due to his fellow GOP opponent JD Hayworth hammering McCain on supporting prior year immigration bills. He has moved (or is trying) to the far right to cater to potential voters in Arizona who may nominate Hayworth for the Arizona US Senate seat. I’ve read that even the Irish pro-immigration coalitions are not able to persuade him to support the bill – he’s basically not playing ball. Second reason is that i feel he has become very bitter after the loss to Obama which can be clearly seen during bouts between the two. There were several Republican senate votes for the passage of the 2007 immigration bill, but most are very unlikely. Hopefully we can get Graham, Snowe and a few other moderate Republican senators.

February 27, 2010 at 7:39 pm
(4) Courtney says:

Comprehensive Immigration Reform NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
God Bless America!!!!

February 27, 2010 at 8:10 pm
(5) Erik says:

It’s time to put the brake on immigration, both illegal and legal. I just drove through Hillsboro, Oregon yesterday. Population when I graduated from high school in 1972: 14,000. Population today: 90,000. The area was once beautiful farmland. Now it’s an urban nightmare.

February 27, 2010 at 9:02 pm
(6) Jacklyn says:

I am also sick and tired of broken promises from Obama. I want immigration reform NOW.

February 28, 2010 at 4:58 am
(7) carlitos says:

I am in Tamika’s situation, but I’m outside the country and my wife and son are in Chicago, so it’s a little worse, my family is torn because of this. I don’t have a criminal record or any DUIs. REFORM 1996 obsolete laws, NOW, I SAID NOW!!!

February 28, 2010 at 11:41 am
(8) Beast says:

You are not going to see CIR (amnesty) this year or presidential term. Look at the facts, more deportations, more audits, and increased building of detention centers. The cost of letting these people stay is way beyond what they contribute, or claim to contribute. How much tax revenue does minimum wage bring in? Compare that to the cost of medical, identity theft, education, and incarceration services, and you now know why they wont pass CIR. They would also have to pay out the Social Security that illegals contribute throughttheir taxes.

February 28, 2010 at 1:19 pm
(9) Sue says:

I really need help to get legal, I live in the USA since 1993 and I’m still illegal. What I need to do to get legal? Please help!!!!!Thank you

February 28, 2010 at 3:14 pm
(10) Brittanicus says:

Westat, a research company was hired to evaluate the E-Verify software for the Homeland Security Department to identify illegal labor cheating the system. The company stated that E-Verify missed so many illegal workers mainly because it cannot detect identity fraud. But then anybody with one brain cell in their head E-Verify is only as good as the databases it uses? Of course it not perfected yet? But then if 9 out of 10 illegal illegal immigrants slip though the US Border patrol gauntlet, according to the Arizona Tuscon sector, as that’s not 100 percent proof either? Work out those illegal alien numbers for yourself for those who are never snared? It’s millions each year. That why the tired old number of 12 million living here unrestrained, makes no sense either? The E-Verify system, the state-county-city police apprehension federal training program, the Southern border fence, the No match IRS verification letters, even ICE raids have all been compromised.

On the outside they are all seen to work for the public eye, but under the skin they are either underfunded or some other mechanism used to undermine its use. Most politicians are payed-off by the massive business sector, to allow the free movement of discount labor. E-Verify was nearly crippled from the start by Sen.Harry Reid and Speaker Nancy Pelosi and nearly tabled before it seeing the light of day. Even though it slipped through, it is only funded for three years. Because of its powerful potential it needs to be a permanent program, that cannot be touched by the open border organizations. Every disreputable corporate concern is livid that legislators have allowed it to become very popular amongst honest business. Business owners who use illegal foreign labor have used every method to repudiate the use of E-Verify throughout America.

Certain Governors, Mayors, judges and other elected officials have tried to blacklist E-Verify, as monetary favors for Wall Street and a whole volume of organizations such as the Catholic church, other religious groups, unions, ACLU, La Raza and open border extremists who profit from illegal immigration. American workers, citizens and legal residents must demand that E-Verify becomes permanent, fully funded and where no business remains untouched? There should be a timetable of ICE audits and lightening raids, that can even return after a month or two. Any patriotic American can call ICE and report unscrupulous companies using illegal labor. Its the duty of every law abiding citizen or resident. That anybody hiring illegal immigrants after E-Verify can detect fraudulent documentation as the computer program in the immediate future, should go to prison as they are aiding and abetting illegal labor stealing American jobs. SO E-VERIFY REJECTS YOUR JOB APPLICATION? GO TO THE SOCIAL SECURITY AGENCY–TO STRAIGHTEN THE APP OUT? A good Example of not statewide using E-Verify is the SANCTUARY STATE OF CALIFORNIA–THE STATE IS NOW BROKE.

THE LAW SHOULD ALSO BE CHANGED MAKING ILLEGAL ENTRY INTO THE US A FELONY, instead of a slap on the wrist. Only American voters can stop these travesties of our immigration system. We don’t need anymore cheap labor, as we have 15 million of our population jobless. We need a “points System” for highly skilled imported labor. We need checks and balances so immigration lawyers cannot cheat the system. We need the 1986 Immigration law enforced, with perhaps new amendments. Tell these corrupt lawmakers in Washington and your states–WHAT YOU WANT–NOT WHAT THEIR BUSINESS BENEFICIARIES WANT? The Washington toilet must be emptied, for our own survival. Call your Representative at 202-224-3121 and demand rigid immigration enforcement.

The cost to the American people for supporting illegal immigrant families is unimaginable. Read the truth about corruption and the illegal immigration occupation of our country at NUMBERSUSA, JUDICIALWATCH, IMMIGRATIONBUZZ & RIGHTSIDENEWS.

No Copyright! Pass around. American Jobs for American Workers. One flag, one language.

February 28, 2010 at 4:19 pm
(11) Rodrigo says:

They are calling it “Immigration Reform” but it’s not reform. It’s an amnesty and a big increase in how many new immigrants can come to the United States legally. That can be called “reform” or not. But it’s more accurately called an amnesty. Reform could be all sorts of things, but this is specifically an amnesty.

I can’t tell you how many illegals I’ve talked to who entered because of the Reagan Amnesty and they always ask, “So when is the next amnesty? I came in with the idea that there would be amnesty and I keep waiting and waiting!”

A new amnesty will radically increase illegal immigration to the United States because it will send a message that there will always be amnesties if you wait long enough.

One reason Obama hasn’t so much as mentioned “immigration reform” lately is because he knows that democrats are going to lose everything if they try to push that bill through. Most Americans don’t want it. It’s just too many people. 10 million or 12 million will get legal work authorization and they will no longer just seek the jobs Americans don’t want to do. Once legal, they will go to community colleges and job training programs and they will seek the jobs Americans want. Then a whole new wave of illegals will enter to take the jobs that the illegals no longer want because they can get better jobs.

If we had a pre-NAFTA, pre-globalization world, I think the United States could absorb that without a catastrophe. But globalization and NAFTA have changed the playing field where US workers get squeezed from the top and the bottom. Americans’ work hours keep growing while their pay keeps dropping. An amnesty/legalization will accelerate that trend.

Most of all, I think that if they pass an amnesty, voters will punish the democratic party severely and I think Obama will lose in 2010.

As it stands, the Obama administration has to carefully plan how to dole out “stimulus” and money printing to time it so that people are hopeful and not hurting for the 2012 presidential elections. He has to time that with the 2010 election in mind as well because there isn’t enough money to pump stimulus and spending and money printing for 2.5 years. It just can’t be done.

An amnesty now will start flooding job centers, community colleges, job training programs and a lot of other places with newly legal workers over the next year or two. Right now illegals aren’t counted in the unemployment statistics. If they are legalized in time for the 2012 election cycle, it will make unemployment numbers explode and it will scare people and they will vote Obama out.

I think the administration is posturing because they have to make their immigration reform allies feel like they are doing something. Some of the immigration reform lobby put sweat and money into the Obama campaign so if he ignores them, he will needlessly alienate (no pun intended) the immigration reform lobby. But at the same time, he will suffer a huge backlash if immigration “reform” passes. So I think the administration’s strategy will be to keep quiet while congressmen and senators who aren’t up for reelection push the agenda, but those who are up for reelection make sure that agenda goes nowhere.

Unemployment is likely going higher and there is no economic recovery on the horizon. An amnesty in this environment is asking for riots. The administration has no idea if we’re going to have 12% unemployment in 2011. There are a lot of bad things on the horizon from a lot more foreclosures to increasingly bad economic numbers coming in now that “stimulus” is ending. The Fed and the administration can’t endlessly print money without driving up interest rates and causing a real catastrophe. So they have to pace themselves. They have no idea how bad this is going to get and if you could talk honestly with them, they’d tell you so. If you have 12% unemployment with legalization, you’re talking about throwing gasoline on a fire.

Nothing will happen with legalization/amnesty until there is a real economic recovery. Unfortunately, I don’t see a real recovery with unemployment below 7% until 2013 or 2014 if we are lucky. If we’re unlucky, it could be longer. And I think if it is longer, it’s likely that a war will be necessary to ensure public unity and reduce/demonize political dissidents and discontents, which could become a very, very large group of people without a war.

The whole political machine is going to have to fight like crazy to keep the American public from becoming unruly as it endures financial abuses and wildly increasing disparities of wealth. The way the machine has done this traditionally is with war and often by pitting one group against another. An amnesty/legalization is just so antithetical to how that process needs to function, it seems crazy for them to do it.

We’re in for some serious rollercoaster of surprises on the economy and potentially foreign show wars to keep the American public distracted. Adding an amnesty/legalization to that seems impossible. But if they did it, it would probably hasten the transition to a real representative government. That is to say, people would probably set fire to the current one.

February 28, 2010 at 4:24 pm
(12) jake411 says:

I respectfully disagree with what the commenter ‘Beast’ states above. Immigrants contribute tremendously to the economy. Several reports have stated that immigrants are serious entrepreneurs and are more likely to open up their own businesses and further on hire employees (create jobs) than a natural born US citizen. Also in regards to the ‘how much tax revenue does minimum wage bring in?’ Think about that statement. How long does someone stay at a minimum paying job? You stay 1-2 years tops at that job and take the experience and get yourself a better paying job. Or you get promoted with a higher pay. Nobody stays at minimum wage for their entire lives. I started right at minimum wage when i was a high school senior and hopped on to a new job every 1.5 years to further increase my pay. Now that i’ve been out of college for several years, I’m earning a great salary with all the experience I garnered throughout the past years. As their earnings increase, so do their tax bracket levels and thus you end up contributing more to taxes.

I’d also like to say that i saw a news piece on NBC Nightly News a few months back where a white natural born US citizen in her late 20s was talking about her plight of being unemployed. This lady was currently collecting unemployment checks and stated that she refused to get a minimum wage paying job (fast food in her example) because she made more money by collecting the welfare checks (being underemployed). So when people make the argument that illegal immigrants are stealing our jobs, that’s an utter lie because anyone with a fair mind knows that US citizens don’t take the back breaking manual jobs that hard working immigrants are more than happy to take. Immigrants earn every penny and never sit back and live off the government’s hand outs like many citizens who abuse the system.

February 28, 2010 at 7:06 pm
(13) KNYimmi says:

ummm reform for illegals. you’ve got to be kidding me. How about the families who have been here for 10+ years, are only allowed 1 spouse to work (even though other spouse and kids have TINs and are made to pay taxes) their kids can’t obtain a SSN to apply to college with, have payed over $10,000 over the years. and you want border crossers to have amnesty NOW, you’ve got to be kidding me. AND WE speak ENGLISH

March 1, 2010 at 12:48 pm
(14) EricaM says:

I am in a similar situation. My husband has been here since 1997. We have been married for 9 years and have three kids. The only way that he can adjust his immigration status is if he goes back to Mexico. The lawyers are not able to estimate how long it will take. Also, I have to suffer extreme hardship to have him here. I have been told that if I had a serous illness then I could apply for adjustment now. So, I have to be dying in order to have a good case!!!!If he left to Mexico I would not be able to survive with our three kids and just my salary. I would have to get help from the goverment. It is also very difficult for me to hear others say that immigrants should come here legally. Well, when you are Mexican there is virtually no path to get here legally. I am outraged when I see how easy and quickly it is for other people to adjust their status. I am a citizen of the USA and I can’t even apply to have my husband here to keep my family together. I have written a letter to the president and congress asking them to fix our immigration system ASAP and nothing has been done. At this point I am very dissapointed in my country.

March 1, 2010 at 7:00 pm
(15) kimils says:

immigration reform now.because we wait so long bush an d republicans messed up everything.economi freedom human dignity for new president not easy ,to fixing after bush but i belive him so much he will fix everything immigration issues is first priorty he said but republicans playing game in senate and house.immigration reform need now people driving car without license no id they have kids and family.

March 2, 2010 at 3:10 pm
(16) zk11 says:

brain is draining, students with out the two i.d they can not appear in the p cat or m cat. these students are innocent, please, please pass the dream act, they will give back a lot to the community and the country.

March 4, 2010 at 12:57 pm
(17) Ileana says:

Yes, I agree healthcare reform is important, but they haven’t come to an agreement and is taking along time. President Obama should make time to focus on immigration reform, we can’t wait and see when healthcare reform is going to be resolve,to move on to the next issue. Immigration reform needs immediate attention as this was an issue that we have been waiting for reform and it was promised since his campaign.

March 4, 2010 at 7:45 pm
(18) george rogers says:

come into the us legally is ok but when you come in illegally you have aLready BROKEN AMERICAN LAW and how man
y more laws will you break, i am married to legal imigrate from the philippines so spend your money as i did an do it by the laws of our land, vietnam vet